Vashon Elected Officials, all our meeting minutes, and more...
Our Vashon Elected Officials - So you can contact them!
To find your US senators: http://www.contactsenators.com/
Call: WDC – 202-224-2621, Seattle - 206-553-5545
Write: Senator Murray, 154 Russell SOB, Washington, D.C. 20510
Call: WDC – 202-224-3441, Seattle - 206-220-6400
Write: Senator Cantwell, 511 Hart SOB, Washington, DC 20510
To find your US representative: http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/
Call: WDC – 202-225-3106, Seattle – 206-674-0040
Write: Rep Jayapal, 319 Cannon HOB, Washington, DC 20515
Washington State Governor:
Governor Jay Inslee:
Write: Governor Jay Inslee, 416 14th Ave SW, Olympia, WA 98504
Washington State 34th Legislative District Elected Officials:
Eileen Cody: Olympia - 360-786-7978, Seattle - 206-389-2590
Write: Rep Eileen Cody, JLOB 303, PO Box 40600, Olympia, WA, 98504-0600
Joe Fitzgibbon: Olympia - 360-786-7952, Seattle - 206-435-7034
Write: Rep Joe Fitzgibbon, JLOB 305, PO Box 40600, Olympia, WA, 98504-0600
Sharon Nelson: Olympia - 360-786-7667, Seattle - 206-435-7032
Write: Senator Sharon Nelson, 316 Legislative Building, Olympia, WA 98504-0434
Washington State Attorney General:
Write: Bob Ferguson, PO Box 40100, Olympia, WA 98504-0100
Chair, King County Council (representing Vashon):
Write: King County Council Chair Joe McDermott, 516 Third Ave, Room 1200, Seattle, Wa 98104
Vashon Community Plan
On March 1, 2018, the King County Executive transmitted to the King County Council the proposed 2018 update to the 2016 King County Comprehensive Plan as Proposed Ordinance 2018-0153. The 2018 update is a limited, annual cycle update, and will be focused on proposed changes to the County’s comprehensive planning schedule and to the subarea planning program. The legislation has been referred to the Planning, Rural Service and Environment Committee for review, with possible adoption by the full Council later this year.
Please check back to this King County website for more information on the Council’s review of the proposal. You can also stay up to date on 2018 Comprehensive Plan news, schedules, and committee agendas by signing up for the Council’s Comprehensive Plan email list.
Public comment opportunities
The following opportunities for public comment on the proposed 2018 Comprehensive Plan Update will be provided during the Council’s review of the proposed plan. These dates are subject to change and updates will be posted accordingly.
- The Planning, Rural Service and Environment Committee will hold a series of briefings on the proposed plan in the spring and summer of 2018. Public comments on the proposal will taken at the committee briefings currently scheduled for September 4, 2018.
- A formal public hearing, with the opportunity for public testimony before the full King County Council, is anticipated to be held on October 22, 2018
- Written comments on the proposed plan can also be submitted throughout the Council’s review. Comments can be easily be submitted electronically, by emailing CouncilCompPlan@kingcounty.gov
About the King County Comprehensive Plan
More details about the Council’s 2018 Comprehensive Plan Update review schedule can be found here. The Council looks forward to your involvement in the review of the proposed 2018 Comprehensive Plan update.
The King County Comprehensive Plan is the guiding policy document for land use and development regulations in unincorporated King County, and for regional services throughout the County including transit, sewers, parks, trails, and open space.
The King County Code (K.C.C. 20.18.030) allows for updates to the Comprehensive Plan on either an annual or a once-every-four-years basis, depending on the scope of the change. The annual cycle allows for limited changes, technical corrections, adoption of subarea plans, and adoption of land use changes that do not amend the Urban Growth Area. The “four-year cycle” update is considered a larger-scale update to the plan and, unlike annual updates, allows for consideration of broader substantive policy changes and potential revisions to the Urban Growth Area.
The current plan is the 2016 Comprehensive Plan, which was adopted by the King County Council on December 5, 2016 and was amended in 2017 by Ordinance 18623. The 2016 Comprehensive Plan was the fifth major update to the King County Comprehensive Plan.FOR MORE INFORMATION
If you have questions about the Council’s 2018 Comprehensive Plan process, please email CouncilCompPlan@kingcounty.gov.
Other Progressive Groups on Vashon
- All Island Forum: AIF Mission: Our purpose is to provide a collaborative, participatory and effective forum for community dialogue & action. We seek clarity on issues, consensus on decisions, and community participation on solutions.
- The Backbone Campaign: Backbone provides creative strategies, artful action support, and convenes training opportunities for change agents across
the United States. Our purpose is to accelerate the growth of a social
movement powerful enough to manifest a world where life, community,
nature and our obligations to future generations are NOT for sale, but
honored as sacred. They have recently published an organizing toolkit for activists which has, among other info, a great guide for organizing and running effective meetings.
- Carbon Free PSE Vashon Headed by Kevin Jones on Vashon (email@example.com), it is part of a larger group effort to move Puget Sound Energy to renewable power production. Click here for more information.
- Citizen’s Climate Lobby To create the political will for a sustainable climate, and to empower others to exercise their personal and political power. We are a local chapter of the national Citizen's Climate Lobby Represented on Vashon by Virginia Lohr, firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Your Consideration: compiled weekly by Kevin Jones, actions we can all take to make things happen. For more info, click here.
- Indivisible Vashon: A Grassroots Group Focused on Progressive Legislative Action
and Support of Progressive Candidates for Office
Indivisible Vashon is a Part of the Vashon Progressive AllianceThere are several Indivisible teams under the overall Indivisible umbrella: the Indivisible Vashon Legislative Action Group, the Indivisible Vashon Building a Progressive Majority, and the Indivisible Vashon Immigrant / Refugee Work Group
- Monthly Film NIght: organized by Amy Morrison of the Backbone Campaign, email@example.com
- Monthly Pot Luck: also organized by Amy Morrison of the Backbone Campaign, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vashon Climate Action Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/341763986190159/ We are a hard-working group of Vashon folks determined to combat climate change in our actions. We show our determination by lobbying, researching, raising awareness, healing our own Island and staying close in our work. Partnerships with other Island-based environmental groups are more than welcome. Contact: Andy James: email@example.com
- Here is a link to their charter, on Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FY7FanwkAn4oKExNKOUGWKFwBSd0TaKZaFpBBXO5CDI/edit
Here is a link to their first meeting minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hdttJICGo-sShncc3IdG9EMSmEovZn0kWwolT54xEqE/edit
- Vashon Huddle is a small group of women and men who meet weekly to discuss affairs of the day. We got started post-inaugurally as a way to stave off lingering depression, anxiety and/or feelings of powerlessness. Each of us independently wanted to do something. But what?? Some of us were fortunate enough to March on Washington, DC, Olympia, Seattle or even on Vashon. From the marches, we decided to follow the Women’s March’s “10 Actions in 100 Days”. We welcome the guidance of fabulous Vashon’s Indivisible’s actions as well. (If you don’t know about them, go to www.indivisibleguidebook.com).
We have found a voice and a plan. We resist and oppose the noxious decisions coming out of the White House. We value freedom of speech, integrity, and peaceful protest. We support other individuals and groups who “fight the good fight”. Our Huddle brings together individuals with their own ideas and passions. We honor our differences and find common ground. We may march, write letters to legislators, send postcards to the President, attend Town Halls, register voters, and connect with the larger activist communities on Vashon and Puget sound. We invite you to join us and find your own voice.
Meetings: Come to our weekly meeting: every Saturday at 11:30am at the Red Bicycle.
Vashon Action Huddle
- Vashon Living Wage Campaign
Tori Stoner, organizer
This group is just getting going. If a living wage for Vashon workers is important to you, please join the Facebook group, and offer your help to Tori. For a discussion of the options, please see our January 2018 meeting minutes.
- Vashon Resettlement Committee https://www.vashonresettlement.org/about_us
Mary Rose, President
Susan Doerr, Vice President and Public Relations
The Vashon Resettlement Committee was formed to provide compassionate resettlement support and a welcoming community for families traumatized by war.
MISSION The Vashon Resettlement Committee was formed to provide compassionate resettlement support and a welcoming community for families traumatized by war and cultural dislocation. We are working with local refugee agencies to identify and resettle Syrian and other families from the war-torn Middle East in our community of Vashon Island.
WHAT WE DO As volunteers, we are mobilizing to secure housing and to help families access community resources and services, to improve their English, develop new job skills, find employment, enroll their children in school and navigate complex social services and cultural acclimation.
P.O. Box 401 Vashon, WA 98070
- Vashon SURJ: Vashon Showing Up for Racial Justice has joined a national network of groups and individuals educating, mobilizing & organizing mostly white people in a multi-racial movement for racial justice. SURJ envisions a society where we struggle together with love, for justice, human dignity and a sustainable world.
We base our work on the following National SURJ Values:
**Calling people in not calling out
**Taking risks, learn and keep going
**Tapping into mutual interest
**Being Accountable through action
Contact Janie Starr at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit them on Facebook
- Write to Resist : Join us Thursdays from 3:00 to 5:00 for weekly letter and postcard writing fueled by pastries, latte, and wine at Gather, in the former Heron’s Nest in town next to Herban Bloom. We write to our elected officials, businesses, judges - anyone on our radar. We thank the people who are doing the right thing, and we spank the ones who are not acting in the best interests of our country.
Drop in for part of the afternoon or stay for the whole two hours. Postcards and letter writing materials provided - and feel free to bring your own, too! Stamp donations are greatly appreciated.
Please join the Vashon Resistance Facebook group to see some of the past topics we have written about. If you can't make it to the event, you can still write!
- Zero Waste Vashon: http://zerowastevashon.org/
Zero Waste Vashon (ZWV) is a group of Vashon Island neighbors working in partnership with King County to make our island a model green community by finding practical ways to recycle our waste stream into useful products.
ZWV is partnering with King County for a ZERO WASTE future. We can have revitalized soils, cleaner water, cleaner air, and locally sourced energy.