Vashon Info, Events, Progressive Issues
Vashon Community Plan
King County, in partnership with the company Peak Democracy, has created the web site below where you can read and comment on the most recent version of the draft Vashon-Maury Island Community Service Area (CSA) Plan. This is the same version of the plan that was sent as a .pdf file to this list on April 17, except that the web site below contains an online comment tool.
Instructions for how to comment are in the Introduction. If you already registered on the Peak Democracy site during one of the prior plan comment sessions, you will just need to enter your password and it will recognize you as a user. Or, you can also remain anonymous (by not registering).
Thank you, again, for your interest and participation in this community plan process!
[You are receiving this e-mail because you have requested to receive e-mail notification of actions related to the Vashon-Maury Island Community Service Area Plan.]
Bradley D. Clark, AICP
King County Department of Permitting & Environmental Review
35030 S.E. Douglas Street, Suite 210
Snoqualmie, WA 98065
Phone: (206) 477-2449
Below are the next key dates in the review and comment period for this CSA Plan:
Summer/Fall 2017 – King County Council will hold public meetings and hearings on the plan.
Other Progressive Groups on Vashon
- All Island Forum: AIF Mission: Our purpose is to provide a collaborative, participatory and effective forum for community dialogue & action. We seek clarity on issues, consensus on decisions, and community participation on solutions.
- The Backbone Campaign: Backbone provides creative strategies, artful action support, and convenes training opportunities for change agents across
the United States. Our purpose is to accelerate the growth of a social
movement powerful enough to manifest a world where life, community,
nature and our obligations to future generations are NOT for sale, but
honored as sacred. They have recently published an organizing toolkit for activists which has, among other info, a great guide for organizing and running effective meetings.
- Carbon Free PSE Vashon Headed by Kevin Jones on Vashon ([email protected]), it is part of a larger group effort to move Puget Sound Energy to renewable power production. Click here for more information.
- Citizen’s Climate Lobby To create the political will for a sustainable climate, and to empower others to exercise their personal and political power. We are a local chapter of the national Citizen's Climate Lobby Represented on Vashon by Virginia Lohr, [email protected]
- For Your Consideration: compiled weekly by Kevin Jones, actions we can all take to make things happen. For more info, click here.
- Indivisible Vashon: A Grassroots Group Focused on Progressive Legislative Action
and Support of Progressive Candidates for Office
Indivisible Vashon is a Part of the Vashon Progressive AllianceThere are several Indivisible teams under the overall Indivisible umbrella: the Indivisible Vashon Legislative Action Group, the Indivisible Vashon Building a Progressive Majority, and the Indivisible Vashon Immigrant / Refugee Work Group
- Monthly Film NIght: organized by Amy Morrison of the Backbone Campaign, [email protected]
- Monthly Pot Luck: also organized by Amy Morrison of the Backbone Campaign, [email protected]
- Vashon Climate Action Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/341763986190159/ We are a hard-working group of Vashon folks determined to combat climate change in our actions. We show our determination by lobbying, researching, raising awareness, healing our own Island and staying close in our work. Partnerships with other Island-based environmental groups are more than welcome. Contact: Andy James: [email protected]
- Here is a link to their charter, on Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FY7FanwkAn4oKExNKOUGWKFwBSd0TaKZaFpBBXO5CDI/edit
Here is a link to their first meeting minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hdttJICGo-sShncc3IdG9EMSmEovZn0kWwolT54xEqE/edit
- Vashon Huddle is a small group of women and men who meet weekly to discuss affairs of the day. We got started post-inaugurally as a way to stave off lingering depression, anxiety and/or feelings of powerlessness. Each of us independently wanted to do something. But what?? Some of us were fortunate enough to March on Washington, DC, Olympia, Seattle or even on Vashon. From the marches, we decided to follow the Women’s March’s “10 Actions in 100 Days”. We welcome the guidance of fabulous Vashon’s Indivisible’s actions as well. (If you don’t know about them, go to www.indivisibleguidebook.com).
We have found a voice and a plan. We resist and oppose the noxious decisions coming out of the White House. We value freedom of speech, integrity, and peaceful protest. We support other individuals and groups who “fight the good fight”. Our Huddle brings together individuals with their own ideas and passions. We honor our differences and find common ground. We may march, write letters to legislators, send postcards to the President, attend Town Halls, register voters, and connect with the larger activist communities on Vashon and Puget sound. We invite you to join us and find your own voice.
Meetings: Come to our weekly meeting: every Saturday at 11:30am at the Red Bicycle.
Vashon Action Huddle
- Vashon Living Wage Campaign
Tori Stoner, organizer
This group is just getting going. If a living wage for Vashon workers is important to you, please join the Facebook group, and offer your help to Tori. For a discussion of the options, please see our January 2018 meeting minutes.
- Vashon Resettlement Committee https://www.vashonresettlement.org/about_us
Mary Rose, President
Susan Doerr, Vice President and Public Relations
The Vashon Resettlement Committee was formed to provide compassionate resettlement support and a welcoming community for families traumatized by war.
MISSION The Vashon Resettlement Committee was formed to provide compassionate resettlement support and a welcoming community for families traumatized by war and cultural dislocation. We are working with local refugee agencies to identify and resettle Syrian and other families from the war-torn Middle East in our community of Vashon Island.
WHAT WE DO As volunteers, we are mobilizing to secure housing and to help families access community resources and services, to improve their English, develop new job skills, find employment, enroll their children in school and navigate complex social services and cultural acclimation.
P.O. Box 401 Vashon, WA 98070
- Vashon SURJ: Vashon Showing Up for Racial Justice has joined a national network of groups and individuals educating, mobilizing & organizing mostly white people in a multi-racial movement for racial justice. SURJ envisions a society where we struggle together with love, for justice, human dignity and a sustainable world.
We base our work on the following National SURJ Values:
**Calling people in not calling out
**Taking risks, learn and keep going
**Tapping into mutual interest
**Being Accountable through action
Contact Janie Starr at [email protected] or visit them on Facebook
- Write to Resist : Join us Thursdays from 3:00 to 5:00 for weekly letter and postcard writing fueled by pastries, latte, and wine at Gather, in the former Heron’s Nest in town next to Herban Bloom. We write to our elected officials, businesses, judges - anyone on our radar. We thank the people who are doing the right thing, and we spank the ones who are not acting in the best interests of our country.
Drop in for part of the afternoon or stay for the whole two hours. Postcards and letter writing materials provided - and feel free to bring your own, too! Stamp donations are greatly appreciated.
Please join the Vashon Resistance Facebook group to see some of the past topics we have written about. If you can't make it to the event, you can still write!
- Zero Waste Vashon: http://zerowastevashon.org/
Zero Waste Vashon (ZWV) is a group of Vashon Island neighbors working in partnership with King County to make our island a model green community by finding practical ways to recycle our waste stream into useful products.
ZWV is partnering with King County for a ZERO WASTE future. We can have revitalized soils, cleaner water, cleaner air, and locally sourced energy.